- About Us
Welcome to Epilepsy Foundation of Southeast Tennessee. We hope you will stay a while.
We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) agency providing educational, vocational, outreach and advocacy services to people with epilepsy, their families and their communities. We are an affiliate of Epilepsy Foundation of America. Our resources are always free. Please let us know what we can do to help.
We will work to ensure that people with seizure disorders are able to participate in all life experiences and overcome the challenges created by epilepsy.
Bledsoe, Bradley, Grundy, Hamilton, Marion, McMinn, Meigs, Polk, Rhea, and Sequatchie Counties in Tennessee and Catoosa, Dade, and Walker Counties in Georgia.
The Foundation is a funded program partner of the United Way of Greater Chattanooga. The State of Tennessee Department of Health provides contract funding for educational services and counseling of people newly diagnosed with epilepsy. The remainder of the Foundation support is from grants, donations and special events.
Programs and Services
- Referral to patient advocate if client is applying for disability or appealing a decision
- Secure legal advice and assistance from the Epilepsy Foundation's Legal Defense Fund
- Representation of client in educational planning meetings
- Education of legislators and decision makers regarding the need to recognize epilepsy as a serious chronic condition warranting public support
- Identify and assess individual needs and make appropriate referrals
- "Walk along-side" someone struggling with current challenges to help them attain a place of self-sufficiency
- Increase awareness of epilepsy in the greater Chattanooga community by speaking in businesses, schools and other care givers about seizure recognition and first aid
- Dispel misconceptions and misinformation about seizures and epilepsy
- Educate first-responders in seizure recognition and first aid
- Aid school nurses and teachers in preparing seizure action plans for students with epilepsy
- We offer a limited amount of funding to assist those who are unable to purchase their epilepsy medications
- We have a support group in Chattanooga, and one in Cleveland. These meet once a month, and we would love to have you join us. Please join our mailing list to receive updates and information about each group.
- We have an active presence on Facebook and Twitter ("EpilepsySETN") where we offer education, resources, networking, volunteer opportunities and other online support services.
Please connect with Epilepsy Foundation of Southeast Tennessee if you have any questions, or to schedule a training.